We all are aware that the world is in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic. This era has bought about the invention of various techniques and medicines, some natural and some man-made but with a common motive to lower the effect of the virus on our body. In India, Ayurveda has come across to be a beacon of light in these dark times. Every house in this country has resorted to the traditional “kaada” or herbal tea for boosting immunity and staying away from the symptoms of the virus. It is no stranger to us Indians.
The practices of Ayurveda dates back to when there were no chemical medicines available and people resorted to nature for their treatment. Ayurveda’s wisdom is based on preventive care that is driven by the concepts of daily/seasonal regimes to maintain a healthy life. This builds the foundation for the self-care guidelines every individual should follow to achieve an optimal health condition, especially in these critical pandemic times. We at Modi Yoga Retreat firmly believe in the approach of Ayurveda for the fight against the pandemic and have suggested a few remedies every individual should follow for better health outcomes.
Firstly, what are the dietary measures one should follow to fully utilise the depth of Ayurveda?
1. Drinking lukewarm water throughout the day makes a very big difference to the body.
3. Make use of turmeric, Cumin, Coriander, and Garlic in your food is very beneficial.
4. Drinking herbal tea that comprises 4 basil leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 crushed black pepper, 1 pinch ginger powder, 4 munakka boosts your digestion.
5. 10 grams of Chyavanprash should be consumed in the morning.
6. Having a spoon full of turmeric in about 150 ml of milk throughout the day or every night before sleeping.
Measures that need to be followed for a lifestyle driven by Ayurveda?
- Making a habit of practising the various Yogasana every day and meditating for at least 30 minutes a day.
2. Steaming- 10-15 minutes once a day, Add a few carom seeds or a few drops of camphor oil.
3. Oil application- Apply sesame oil/coconut oil/desi ghee inside both the nostrils two times in the day. Nose being the key battleground against the virus, slowing or stopping the invasion at this stage might be helpful. These herbal lubricants are age-old antiseptics and are highly recommended to arrest foreign invasion to some extent.
4. Oil Pulling- Take one tablespoon of sesame or coconut oil in your mouth. Do not drink, keep swishing in the mouth for 10 minutes. Spit it off followed by warm water rinse/gargles. This is practised as a morning ritual preferably before you brush your teeth. The mouth is another invasion point, herbal intervention here helps clean local toxins.
All this is just a small piece out of the huge book called Ayurveda. There is a tonne left to discover and for that our experts at Modi Yoga Retreat, Rishikesh can be your mentors to help you achieve optimal health conditions. As the treatment of diseases is highly individualized and depends on the psychophysiological constitution of the patient. There are different dietary and lifestyle recommendations for each season of the year to promote optimal health. To know more about our Ayurvedic approach, Check out our program today!